P.O. BOX 545 Halfway, Oregon 97834 [email protected] 541-742-2784

Minutes – September 4th, 2012

1:00pm-3:00pm

Halfway Library

Present: Ruai Gregory, Bill Schuhle, Steve White, Larry Miller, Celinda Miller, Bill Johnson, Bill Shields

Last meeting’s minutes; read by Ruai and approved.

Treasurer’s report: Bill Schuhle gave the report (insert link)

Projects:

Pine Eagle Community Preschool: Ruai updated: school began today with 17 children.  They are planning a fundraiser to coincide with the Hells Cyn. Relay Race.

Pine Eagle Education Foundation (PEEF): Chairity was a success; still planning to write grants under UCP until they achieve nonprofit status.

Pine Valley Museum: Plough exhibit is up; next is manure spreader.

Seed Sharing Station: (at Jacob’s Dream). Bill Schuhle made a temporary sign about it to advertise location and service before it is built.

Community Resource Book: Ruai will follow up with Kay Young.

Potential Projects:

Senior Lunch (Bill Johnson): spoke with Mary Jo Carpenter at Community Connection in Baker City.  She told him she would speak with Margaret and Joe (higher ups in the organization) about what it would take to keep the Senior Lunch in Halfway going.  It costs $6,000.00 per year to run it as it is currently run.  Margaret returned his call and summarized the situation: they can continue to deliver meals on wheels and pick up Halfway seniors for the Thursday New Bridge lunch.  The logic is to combine the two groups.

Louise Rasmussen spoke with Bill Johnson about using the school for a senior lunch! The school would charge $3.00 per meal, and provide the current art room as a place to eat, meat, congregate, play games, etc.  Louise followed up with Mike Corley and Lisa Butler, who were very supportive. They checked in with the state school meal association, who said it was fine, as long as the food is not taken off campus.  Louise said she could check in with the seniors to see what food they’d like prepared.  Bill said the school could maybe provide some student volunteers to serve food to the seniors.

The group unanimously agreed about the importance of supporting and collaborating on new projects that provide senior services.

Pat’s Park Bandstand (Bill Shields): Bill gave his rationale for the creation of a bandstand, as a way to promote arts performances, ideally weekly from Memorial Day until Labor Day.  Pat and Tony Sowers, the owners, are supportive, but don’t want to be the owners of it.  They suggest that an arts group should own the bandstand, and that it be possible to disassemble it in case the park ever sells.  Bill proposed that UCP own it and Cornucopia Arts Council do the scheduling and booking.  This way, a stream of rental monies could flow back to UCP.  Bill Schuhle asked why not use the bandstand at the fairgrounds.  Bill Shields responded that the Pat’s Park location would promote more downtown attendance and revenue-building for local businesses.  It could generate a fulltime job in the future, which would be funded by Cornucopia Arts Council.  He pointed out that the role of the arts in our community has grown markedly over the past few years, with Halfway Whimsical’s business ($100,000.00 back to the community over five years), the Clear Creek Music Festival ($15,000.00 back to the community over two years)and PEEF’s role in the school.

He thought it would cost $5,000.00 for materials, $8,000.00 total, and would need to be handled by volunteers at first.  The minimum size is 16’ by 12’, and Bill feels it would be best to have an add – on stage for larger performances. His goal is that it would be completed by next Memorial Day.  Ruai pointed out that it would be a good candidate for a Ford Family Foundation grant, as they like to target new buildings that will promote community activities.  Bill Shields said the Oregon Arts Commission’s community vitality score would qualify us for support funds. Steve felt this is an excellent project that deserves our attention. Bill Shields will meet with the Cornucopia Arts Council on Sept. 21, and will report back to us at our next meeting.  He said he would be glad to represent the Hells Canyon Chamber of Commerce at UCP meetings, providing a bridge between the two groups.  Ruai plans to ask for US Bank and City representation at meetings too.

“Silly Ideas Machine”: Celinda presented an idea for the “Silly Ideas Machine” a la The Book Loft’s in Enterprise, which promotes creativity.  Bill Shields said Ann Ingalls has a similar “Do Nothing Machine”.  Celinda will look into this! Ruai suggested that the HCJ could feature one of the ideas each week.

Volunteer Recognition: Celinda felt the answer to volunteer burnout is to provide some financial stipends for them.  Discussion ensued about ways that volunteers are recognized here, primarily through annual luncheons.  Bill Shields mentioned workshops such as “The Care and Feeding of Volunteers”. Ruai mentioned Ford Family Foundation’s Leadership training that includes a unit on promoting and nurturing volunteers.  She also shared that Bill Schuhle and Maureen McMahon are attending the current Ford Leadership Institute in Baker City.  Ruai is one of the trainers for it.

Note (added Nov 10th, 2012) from Liz – I have built a timebank which is ready to go. Any organization interested in using timebanking to reward volunteers or anyone else interested in getting a group together to make the timebank an ongoing project please contact me. [email protected] or 5490

The timebank project is not a UCP project at this time.

See Northeast Oregon Timebank here

Timebank FAQ

 

Next meeting: Oct. 1, 1:00pm.

Minutes – August 6, 2012

1:15pm-3:15pm

(Next meeting: Tues., Sept. 4, 1pm (since Monday is Labor Day))

Halfway Library

Present: Ruai Gregory, Bill Schuhle, Mark Christianson, Liz McLellan, Linda Collier

  1. Review of music festival idea (moving forward with Cornucopia Arts Council and without our suggested assistance), fair board fundraising process and results (very successful, and one donor gave $17,000 after reading the Oregonian article!).  Ruai mentioned she’d been contacted by the Jr. high basketball coach to see if UCP could be the pass-through for grant applications.
  2. Treasurer’s report: (see below).  Bill, the treasurer, read Steve White’s summary of the stability of various investments, reiterating that our current fund is sound. Liz suggested, in response to Denise Christianson’s concerns (voiced to Ruai) that we could include information on our UCP website about our investments – so that we are very transparent.  Liz also requested assistance in developing a “Services” page on the website, along with “Resources”, listing grantors.
  3. Website development: agreed to pay Liz for her work in setting up the UCP website and paypal fundraising capability. She will give us her invoice for reimbursement.
  4. Projects:

Pine Eagle Community Preschool: fundraising has been very successful, and the Commission on Children and Families will provide funds this year.

Pine Eagle Education Foundation (PEEF): continue to wait for approval on their 501C3 status, and plan to continue applying for grants through us.

Pine Valley Museum: Sally Andrews continues to work on her oral history interviews. Bill reported that he has brought in weathered wood for a sign for the historical farm equipment exhibit.

Seed Sharing Station: (at Jacob’s Dream).  Liz shared specifics on the project and the fact that Jacob’s Dream approved the location (on their porch).  Kert Lawrence will donate the wood to build it and needs funds to pay for his labor. She requested that we offer the online fundraising opportunity on our website as a joint project with Jacob’s Dream. We unanimously agreed.  Liz also said she welcomes similar small, doable projects to promote.

Community Resource Book: need to finalize contact names and numbers.  We will divide up names.  When completed, Liz will post on the website. Linda recommended using Kay Young’s email list to send the document out for corrections.

  1. Community Concern: Mark reported on the graffiti on Wild Bill’s wall across from the post office.  He contacted Wild Bill’s and found out that since it has been reported and is in litigation, no one can touch it.  They need a contractor’s estimate.  Mark was hoping to volunteer to paint it over (as the message is racist), but was told he could not.
  2. Potential Project: Linda shared the Pine Valley Cross Country Ski Club’s idea to purchase cross country skis for children as part of their joint project with the school district.  She requested we sponsor them for Leo Adler and Cycle Oregon grants for an approximate total of $10,000.00. We unanimously agreed to serve as the pass through organization for the fundraising.  Liz will work with Linda on including the project on our website.
  3. Next meeting: Tues., Sept. 4, 1pm (since Monday is Labor Day)

Addendum

Financial Report

August 6, 2012 (amended with new brokerage balance received 8/7/12)

Note: There was extensive checking account activity during June and July due to our acting as pass-through for donations to the Pine Valley Fair Association’s fund drive to rebuild the grandstands at the fairgrounds. There were over 100 deposits during the two months and several transfers of funds from our account to the appropriate PVFA account.

USBank Checking Account

Previous balance   $1,000.00

Total June deposits for PVFA   $86,499.54

Total July deposits for PVFA   $20,683.30

Total June transfers to PVFA   <$86,499.54>

Total July transfers to PVFA   <$18,572.80>

Check to Liz McLellan for UCP domain name & hosting cleared .  <$95.40>

USBank account analysis charges   <$22.04>

July 31, 2012 Statement Balance   $2,993.06

August deposits for PVFA to date   $1,150.00

Current Balance   $4,143.06

Note: Current Balance includes our 1% pass-through fee (to date) of $1,035.50 withheld from the last transfer in July.

USBank Brokerage Account

Balance as of April 30, 2012   $19,168.29

Balance as of May 31, 2012   $18,598.53

Balance as of June 29, 2012   $18,740.35

Balance as of July 31, 2012   $18,884.51

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Schuhle, Treasurer

 

 

Minutes – June 4, 2012

Meeting; June 4, 2012 1-3 pm; Halfway Library Present: Ruai Gregory, Bill Schuhle, Mark Christianson, Denise Christianson, Liz McLellan, Larry Miller, Celinda Miller

  1. Announcements: Ruai shared information on the upcoming Ford Family Foundation Leadership Program fall, and also their Nonprofit Town Hall meeting on June 13, from 9am-12pm at the Baker City Library. Bill and Ruai plan to attend the Town Hall meeting.
  2. Treasurer’s Report: $1,000.00 in checking acct., the rest in new brokerage acct., no activity.
  3. Fairground request: Denise shared that the grandstand has been condemned, and approximately $90,000.00 must be raised by June 15, so that construction can begin in time to be done by fair time. The Fair Board has asked permission for UCP to be the pass-through for donations, so that they can be tax deductible. Denise checked in with UCP members a few days ago, who approved the request, and Bill created UCP receipts to send out to donors. Discussion ensued regarding who can give out receipts, along with the donation process (directly into our acct. at US Bank, then we will transfer a large check over to the Fair Board’s acct.). Bill proposed we use two copies (carbon or Xerox) of each receipt,with signatures of the donor, along with two signatures of people giving the receipt. Ruai suggested the receipts be numbered. This idea was approved and Denise will bring it to the Fair Board meeting tonight.
    Denise brought up the concept of best ways to build a sense of community, and move away from an “us versus them” idea in the various groups in the area. The fairground’s issues involve everyone. ADDENDUM: Liz McLellan volunteered to get a UCP donation website up to help with the online fund raising process with help from Bill Schuhle.
  4. Summer/Winter Biathlon idea: Larry brought up a possible proposal to organize annual summer(run/walk and bicycle) and winter (cross country ski and marksmanship) biathlons.He suggested the YMCA might be interested in collaborating on this. Ruai will check with them. Larry also offered to provide preparation classes.
  5. Museum projects: Denise said progress is slow, and pointed out the need for a group that can organize and coordinate all the groups in town.
    Liz described the idea of a “Coordination Convener” who can work toward things like purchasing joint insurance, coordinating projects, etc. This could be a UCP role.
  6. Music Festival project: Steve has proposed we collaborate with Cornucopia Arts Council and the Chamber of Commerce on a possible annual Music Festival. He would like UCP to hire Liz McLellan as the Project Manager to organize and put the proposal together. Liz described some possible plans for a 3 day or 1 ½ day festival, and distributed a handout with questions and possible budget. We discussed ideas with her, including some brainstorming of types of music (rural, American roots, old Cowboy, etc.), but in Steve’s absence, further discussion and decision making were tabled for now.
  7. Action items needed to complete: Community Resource list (Ruai); Talk with YMCA administration regarding the Biathlon idea (Ruai); UCP article for HCJ (Mark); contact Steve re: other date for meeting on music festival (Mark)

NEXT Meeting: Aug. 6, 1pm, library (with other meeting in the meantime about the Music Festival TBA)

callous