Minutes in PDF format for download
United Community Partners
February 2, 2015
Board of Directors: Liz McLellan, President; Kat Davis, Secretary, Steve
Celinda Miller, at-large; Bill Shields, at-large.
Absent: Milicent Simpson, at-large.
[NOTE: To avoid confusion caused by the use of black and white printers,
action and decision items are now indicated in bold italics. – Download the PDF for this formatting – link at top of page.]
1. “Check-ins” indicated all present were in fine fettle.
2.Minutes: The minutes were approved as submitted. Kat will bring hard copies of meeting materials to each meeting that can be copied as needed on-site for those without home printers.
3. Treasurer Nominations:Liz nominated Steve White as Treasurer. Second, Kat. There were no other nominations.
4.Treasurer Vote: Unanimous for Steve White as Treasurer.
5. Treasurer’s Report:Steve passed around an amended version of the January Treasurer’s Report, indicating that the amount being held for the Shade Sail project had been distributed, leaving a balance of $13,482.50 in assets.
- Steve will send a PDF version of the reports to all Board members for their files.
- Liz and Steve will discuss accounting program options and bring info to the March meeting.
6. Voting Process Discussion and vote:Three variations on UCP By-laws; Article III, Section 10 and Article III, Section 11, relating to the topics of voting, membership and quorum were discussed. The first version was submitted by Liz and based on the work of Bill and Celinda; the second was an update from Celinda; the third was submitted by Steve.
Following discussion, Kat was instructed to synthesize the results into a single document.
- Kat will incorporate the changes into a single document and send out to the Board for review prior to the March 2 meeting.
- Revision will be discussed and voted on at the March meeting.
- Part of the compromise surrounding this discussion included modifying the Board members from the current “5” to a range of “5 – 7”. This will require a formal vote in March.
7. Mission/Vision/Services Proposal: Using the original, four-page document as a base, Liz and Kat crafted a shorted version for the Board’s review.With changes
that included expanding the area served from Pine Valley to all communities in the Baker County Panhandle, the Vision and Mission statements were unanimously approved. The revised, approved versions are:
Vision: United Community Parters is dedicated to the success of Pine Valley and the Baker County Panhandle as home to vibrant communities informed by our rural heritage, nurtured by our natural wonders, guided by shared principles and sustained by the creative energy of people leading healthy,productive, rewarding lives.
APPROVED by unanimous vote, 2/2/15.
Mission: United Community Partners facilitates access to organizational assistance for citizen-led initiatives which stimulate economic activity, foster goodwill and fellowship, and enhance Pine Valley and Panhandle communities as rural places to live and work.
APPROVED by unanimous vote, 2/2/15.
Services to Support the Mission:
[Note: To clarify the connection between the Mission and Services, there was agreement to move this section so it immediately
follows the Mission.]
There was discussion but no vote on this section. Celinda recommended adding the words “local” and “business” to the list of entities served. She also suggested some formatting options. Additional suggestions included substitution of more commonly recognized phrasing (“organizational assistance” instead of “technical assistance”) elimination of non-profit terminology (capacity building) and less esoteric verbiage (“post and share” instead of “disseminate”). These and other changes will be incorporated into a new draft and sent to Board members for review.
There was consensus that UCP would continue to offer small grants. After considerable discussion, four of five present agreed that these grants should be made
following some standardized process and timeline that would be applied to all applicants. This will be discussed further at the March meeting.
•Kat will redraft the List of Services to incorporate recommended changes.
Celinda will review and provide suggestions for reformatting. The revised
document will be sent to the Board for review.
•The amended Services document will be discussed and voted on in March.
Due to the length of the meeting, discussion of “Our Values” was tabled
8. Project Selection Criteria:The Board reasserted it’s desire to make small direct grants. There was also consensus for establishing and following a selection process (see above). However, due to time constraints, discussion on project selection criteria was tabled until March.
9. Debit Card Request: Removed from the agenda by Liz who stated it could be revisited at a future meeting.
10. Open Discussion:Eliminated due to time.
11. Check outs:Eliminated due to time.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:00 PM
Submitted by Kat Davis, Secretary