P.O. BOX 545 Halfway, Oregon 97834 [email protected] 541-540-1411

Minutes – August 5, 2013

Pine Valley Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 1:35-1:50pm

Present: Liz McLellan, Bill Schuhle, Bill Shields, Mark Christianson

Absent: Ruai Gregory, Denise Christianson, Steve White, Larry & Celinda Miller

Finance Report. The financial report, which is available separately, was read to the group along with an accounting, received from Lauri Bryan (Hells Canyon Chamber Treasurer) of how our UCP grant of $5,000 for construction of the MainStreet Stage was disbursed. Liz requested that a brief descriptive word or two be added to the Eagle Valley Feed & Seed entries which lacked same. Bill agreed to do this. Constructions costs came to right at $5,500 with the Chamber covering the additional $500. A copy of that report is available separately as well. No further additions or corrections to the finance report were suggested.

Bandstand Update. Bill Shields indicated that Deanne Johnson was doing some test colorings for possible use on the stage’s back wall. Lauri Bryan and Denise Christianson have discussed an overlaying latticework of some kind. Bill Shields indicated it would be the Chamber’s decision as to how to proceed. The stage is now in their hands and no longer a necessary agenda item for UCP.

Pine Fest Update. Liz said fundraising was coming along well. Mark said that during his recent time on the East Coast, he met folks who knew about Pine Fest. Amazement all around.

Upcoming Board Training. Liz asked for suggestions for her to pass on to Mauricio for an upcoming training. Bill Shields suggested our need for a unified view of what we mean by “consensus”. Liz wants to know the process for changing bylaws.

Meeting adjourned at 1:50pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Schuhle, Secretary/Treasurer

Minutes – July 1, 2013

Pine Valley Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 1:35-3:25pm

Present: Liz McLellan, Bill Schuhle, Bill Shields, Ruai Gregory, Mark Christianson, Denise Cristianson, Steve White, Larry & Celinda Miller

Finance Report. The financial report, which is available separately, was read to the group. There were no additions or corrections. Denise indicated she thought the $250.00 paid to Cindy Thayer for writing the Ford grant was very reasonable. The question was asked as to how many hours Cindy spent on the application, but no one had the answer.

Bandstand Update. Bill Shields indicated the bandstand was for all practical purposes finished with only a few items yet to be completed. Lights are yet to be installed. The installed access stairway on the right rear corner is not being used very much so the plan now is to add steps on the front as well. The deck is now sealed with material donated by the Chamber. The back wall of the stage still needs to be painted/sealed/paneled. No decision has yet been made on which way to go. Cedar paneling has been suggested. Bill stated that he has done all he’s going to do in terms of installing paneling and if more is to be done, someone else will need to do it. After some discussion, the decision was taken to seal the back wall by the end of this summer to protect the existing paneling and leaving open the options to either paint or add paneling in the future. Steve took responsibility for getting the sealing done. Mark will find a champion for doing the paneling if we so decide. Bill went on to mention modest positive economic impacts of the stage so far with Old Pine Market developing a local line of bratwursts to sell at events and some banner printing business going to William Jackson that he had not had before. Stephanie’s is also getting some new business because of the stage.

Ford Leadership Training Update. Ruai indicated that approximately 27 people are signed up for the training coming to Halfway this fall, ranging from high school students to seniors.

Ford Grant Application Discussion. Bill Schuhle who, in his position as UCP Treasurer is the designated contact/reporting person with Ford as regards this particular grant, expressed several concerns that arose for him after reviewing the grant application as submitted by our contract grant writer. He felt that some of the wording possibly overstated UCP’s role in the two partnered projects described in the application. He noted also that the list of UCP board members submitted with the application omitted the names of Bill Shields and Celinda Miller. After considerable discussion, it was agreed that past president Ruai Gregory, who, of current active members of UCP, is the most conversant and comfortable with both the grant process and with the Ford Family organization, would contact them by phone (with Bill Schuhle present for the conversation as well), correct the board member list, inform them of our concerns, offer revised wording that more accurately described our role in the instances in question, and inquire as to whether this information should be submitted in writing as well. This resolution to handling Bill’s original concerns seemed to be satisfactory to all concerned.

As a result of our discussion, it was also emphasized and agreed that all the steps in the process of submitting a grant application will in the future be delineated and codified in our bylaws, an issue to be taken up in our impending discussion of process.

 

Bylaws Discussion. Bill Shields suggested contacting NEOEDD and asking them to come facilitate our process of re-writing our bylaws. Ford Family/Rural Development Initiatives could also provide such assistance.

Our Grant Writing Process Discussion. Liz expressed a desire to do a “post mortem” on the current Ford grant process and asked for suggestions for improving the process. Bill Shields suggested a written contract between UCP and its grant writers as well as a written description of what is needed and expected on the part of UCP. It was suggested that a grant sub-committee could be formed of UCP officers and/or other UCP members who cared about and were conversant with the subject matter of a particular grant who would be responsible for reviewing the grant prior to submission.

Emergency Water Project Update. Bill Schuhle shared that Mike Beidler indicated that other individuals in the community were interested in supporting fund-raising for the project and asked if UCP might act as a funds collection point for those donations. He also pointed out that, should the emergency components be purchased and stored and end up not being used prior to the City completing a more comprehensive water/mini-hydro project, the then-redundant components could be sold and the proceeds given to the City as a partial reimbursement on their project. Liz pointed out that with Mike’s precarious health status, if there is not a champion for this project, then UCP’s discussion of it is moot. Steve didn’t see any need for UCP’s involvement as a bank account for donations could be set up by the interested parties apart from UCP. It was agreed that unless a champion is forthcoming, there will be no more UPC time spent on this issue.

Rodale Regeneration Project Update. Celinda talked with Bill Shields about previous meetings held in Halfway to do a “SWOTs” (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) process and the possibility of gathering the information gleaned from those. She also plans to continue studying the Rodale materials to find information relevant to our situation in Halfway.

Inclusive E-mail Discussions. Liz encouraged everyone to use the “ucpinc@googlegroups.com” address to easily send comments to the entire group and urged that responses be handled the same way so that everyone is in the loop when a subject is under discussion.

Our next regular meeting will be August 5, 2013, and will be held at the Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall at 1:30pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Schuhle, Secretary/Treasurer

Minutes – June 3, 2013

Pine Valley Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 1:35-2:35pm

Present: Liz McLellan, Bill Schuhle, Bill Shields, Larry & Celinda Miller

Finance Report. The financial report, which is available separately, was read to the group. There were no additions or corrections.

Bandstand Update. Bill Shields indicated a final inspection had been called for tomorrow. No bills have yet been received from Idaho Power or from electrician Luke Hearne. Original IP estimate was approximately $600. The Chamber offered to help with that if it put us over budget. A later estimate came in at approximately $87! Roofing was ordered late and will be in just two days before the First Fandango. Should be OK as it’s an easy roof to install. Bill indicated there were some engineering challenges: the timber frame joints were moving too much. Metal stabilizing plates are ordered and will be bolted on the back side of the problem joints, not visible to the audience. Re: the First Fandango, Bill Schuhle indicated an HCJ ad would be coming out in addition the flyers around town.

Eagle Creek Orchard Indiegogo Fundraiser Update. Liz said that $20,500 of the $30,000 goal has been raised with 19 days to go. She pointed out that the Cordtzs’ already-established social network in the field of sustainable agriculture was helping immensely and noted that future campaigns we might be willing to embrace, but whose proponents had no such network in place, could not expect similar results in a similar timeframe.

Rodale Regeneration Update. Celinda indicated that Bill Schuhle had sent out a PDF of her overview, which she presented in condensed form last month, and that the current version includes credits as required by the Rodale Institute Library. She asked Bill to also send out a PDF of the document usage guidelines to all UCP members so we would be aware of the need to respect the Institute’s copyrights. She passed out two charts taken from the Rodale materials regarding “expanding your pie vs. looking for more pies” and “internal and external inputs in agricultural production”. Celinda said she would be looking to offer the Rodale model as a project for the upcoming Ford Family Leadership Training being held here in Halfway this fall. Bill Shields praised the recent meeting of community organizations and suggested that the Rodale model could serve as a framework for establishing community priorities. This needs to be followed by an action plan carried out by people with passion for the endeavor. There was discussion of overlapping economic development groups in the region with Northeast Oregon Economic Development District mentioned by Bill as the best and one we should align with. Liz emphasized that we need to proceed, not as an isolated organization, but instead collaborating with and taking advantage of all the energy that is being applied to localization and other economic development issues in the region. Bill suggested that having an actual representative from UCP as part of the NEOEDD organization would be very helpful as opposed to simply tapping into their available information.

Spartan Run Update. Larry indicated that once he had run the numbers on how many participants, staff, and materials as well as medical and other kinds of support would be required to produce a successful Spartan run, it didn’t look like something that we could pull off here. He is exploring other kinds of unique events which might draw sizeable fields.

Pine Fest Music Festival Update. Liz is working with Steve Backstrom on a web site for the Arts Council’s fall music festival and it should be live very soon.

Halfway Emergency Water System Update. Bill Schuhle told the group that Mike Beidler, champion of this project, was out of the picture for the time being due to ongoing serious health issues. Bill Shields indicated the he would in no way support a project based on a “apocalyptic, end-of-the-world” scenario. He said he had talked with councilwoman Teresa Brown and determined that the City had no interest in the project. Liz said that, without City support, since they have the water rights to the source spring, the project seemed dead in the water. She felt it inappropriate at this time for UCP to continue even with an ad hoc group, but suggested that some other group might be formed to pursue it.

Open Discussion. Bill Schuhle read to the group a note he had received from Rick Simpson, President of the Pine Valley Fair Association, describing for our records what exactly is involved in the “Rough Stock Project” at the rodeo grounds on which we are partnering with the PVFA. With regard to partnering, Liz mentioned that, though she had put something like 25 hours into the grandstands fundraiser project on behalf of the Fair Association, she could not find on their web site any kind of acknowledgement or expression of appreciation for UCP’s partnership and support on that project. She said she would like to talk with Rick about their possibly making the partnership a bit more explicit on their end. Bill Schuhle suggested that one or more non-rancher/farmer UCP members attending some Fair Association meetings might be a good idea.

On the Friends of Feline Ferals project, Liz wanted to let Lisa Ochoa know that though they had been rejected for “cash at the moment”, we’re still willing to help in other ways.

Our next regular meeting will be July 1, 2013, and will be held at the Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall at 1:30pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Schuhle, Secretary/Treasurer

Minutes – April 1, 2013

Pine Valley Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 1:35-2:55pm

Present: Ruai Gregory, Liz McLellan, Bill Shields, Bill Schuhle, Mark Christianson, Denise Christianson, Larry & Celinda Miller, Steve White, Eric & Mimi Kauffman

Outgoing President Ruai Gregory asked who would like to chair the meeting and Liz McLellan, who had put together the agenda, agreed to chair. Opting not to put the visiting Kauffmans through listening to last meeting’s minutes, it was agreed that Bill Schuhle would email them to all for approval.

  1. Financial Report. The finance report showed a net decrease in the Checking balance of $5,000 (paid to the Chamber for bandstand construction) and an increase of $5.06 in the Brokerage account in the past month. The full report was read and approved. Later in the meeting, Bill brought up the need for a petty cash fund for small expenses such as postage stamps and the group approved establishing a fund of $100.00.
  2. Selection of Officers. With all Board members present at this meeting, selection of officers proceeded with Bill Schuhle nominating Liz McLellan for the office of President. Denise seconded. Discussion ensued ending in a unanimous affirmative consensus. Liz accepted the job for six months and asked that in return each member commit to recruiting one new member to UCP to broaden our community representation and this was agreed. A suggestion was made that new members could be representatives of other local groups rather than simply interested individuals and this idea received positive response. Ruai nominated Bill Schuhle to continue as Treasurer and there was an affirmative consensus here as well. The position of Secretary was discussed. Bill Schuhle offered to add these duties to his duties as Treasurer and this was agreed to by the group. So our officers as of this date are Liz McLellan – President, and Bill Schuhle – Secretary/Treasurer.
  3. Cornucopia Arts Council Request for Funding. Eric & Mimi Kauffman, representing CAC, passed out a written description and proposed budget for the Music Festival they are planning for the Fairgrounds this fall. There were immediate questions about the Fairgrounds vs. the Pat’s Park bandstand and some confusion and conflation of the two projects as one among members present. The differences were explained in detail by Mimi and elaborated on later by Bill Shields. On seeing the $600 line item for rental of the Fairgrounds, Denise made a strong recommendation that CAC join the Fair Association and have a representative on the Board. Once a member, they would have use of the Fairgrounds at no charge. She also suggested that CAC could take the burden off the Fair Association of providing music during the fall Fair & Rodeo. Ruai pointed out that funding sources beyond those listed in the budget presented could include the Ford Family Foundation and Cycle Oregon. There was discussion of the option for UCP to loan rather than grant the requested $2,000. Such a loan would be subject to approval by the CAC board as well as agreement within UCP that this is something we would like to do.
  4. Bandstand Project Update. Bill Shields indicated that we have permits and that materials have been purchased. Funding in the amount of $3,500 has been secured for the sound system thanks to the family in the Portland area who donated so generously to the grandstands reconstruction project. A fund-raising brochure is in the works for distribution within the community to help with additional needs. Cindy Thayer is working on a grant application to the Ford Family Foundation for approximately $2,500 to cover running power to the site, stage lighting, and small additions to the sound system specifications. Bill asked if we would like funds donated as a result of the fund-raising brochure to come in through UCP. Liz indicated that as an umbrella organization, that would make sense. She also pointed out that donations could be made via PayPal on UCP’s web site. Checks to UCP should also be acceptable.
  5. Flip Chart Custodian. Liz noted that Steve had offered to write discussion notes on flip charts at meetings. Steve explained that this tends to move things along and to help people feel that they are heard. Liz said if he wanted to do that, he could be the guy.
  6. Spartan Run. Larry, who in the past had suggested a biathlon as a possible viable local event, introduced the group to the idea of a “Spartan run” which is race gaining popularity among athletes and is, he said, at the stage that “ironman”type triathlons were 25 years ago. There are currently none in Oregon. It is an obstacle course (including such things as burning logs) and could be hosted at the fairgrounds as it is a spectator sport. Entry fees run $50-$100 and events fill quickly. Corporate sponsors such as Nike are a possibility. Larry will bring more information to our next meeting.
  7. Procedural Issues/Respectful Exchange. Mark expressed a desire for the group to discuss and come to agreement on procedural issues – “how we get things done.” He will solidify the wording of this request for agenda inclusion. He also shared a concern about respectful exchange of ideas during meetings in an atmosphere free of judgmental comments. It was agreed that this should be our goal.
  8. Next Meeting’s Agenda. A tentative agenda for our next meeting includes the CAC funds request, a bandstand report, a report on community regeneration, possibly a “Spartan” report, and discussion of procedure.
  9. Our next regular meeting will be May 6, 2013, and will be held at the Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall at 1:30pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Schuhle, Secretary/Treasurer

Minutes – May 6, 2013

Pine Valley Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 1:40-3:40pm

Present: Liz McLellan, Larry & Celinda Miller, Steve White, Bill Schuhle, Bill Shields (arrived late), Mark Christianson, Ruai Gregory, Denise Christianson, Teresa Brown, Inga Thompson, Lisa Ochoa, Kathy Knight

Liz began the meeting with a reminder of the recently agreed-upon meeting norms for the benefit of the new folks present as well as the “old-timers.”

Finance Report. The financial report, which is available separately, was read and approved. Bill Shields was to present a cover letter for our $2,000 check to the Arts Council for our approval at this meeting, but wasn’t present so Liz asked if she & I might have permission to sign off on that letter between meetings if it looked good and there were no objections. Regarding the generous $3,500 donation from Gordon Janzck to fund the MainStreet Stage’s sound system, it was agreed that our normal fee of 1% for handling tax-deductible donations for our partners would be assessed on this transaction for the Hells Canyon Chamber.

Bandstand Update. Foundation anchor forms are in place awaiting pouring of concrete and actual construction is scheduled to begin next Wednesday, assuming a timely inspection sign-off. The beams that George Guarino has designed for the front structure of the bandstand were described as “beautiful” to no one’s surprise. The bandstand’s opening hurrah, which is being called “First Fandango”, is scheduled for June 8th beginning at noon.

New Member Progress. Liz reiterated the need for UCP to involve more people with long-time roots in the valley so that our decisions can reflect real needs and real expectations. Liz invited Inga Thompson, who was present, as well as Deanna Pennock and Terri Simmons who couldn’t yet make it. Denise has talked to several folks and found some resistance. She emphasized the need not only for ideas, but for history as the feedback she has gotten is that UCP seems to be doing things that have already been done. She’s talked with Yvonne Riggs, David & Linda Bird, and Carol Harris and encountered anger/disappointment with regard to UCP’s past. Liz acknowledged that and indicated that we’re now a new organization under new management. Teresa Brown said the talk she hears from old-timers is that UCP is trying to turn Halfway into a new Joseph. She emphasized that the reason our town is even still here is because of the families who, for generations, have run cattle and made a living at it and we need to respect that. Denise pointed out that we need to define what we mean when we say we want economic development. Steve White said that for the past eight years, UCP has done primarily nothing, so he wasn’t sure what the fear was. He suggested getting the word out as to what we’re about by putting minutes (or a summary) in the paper. Teresa suggested interfacing with the City Council as a good way to get the word out and better inform our decisions. Inga talked about the huge advantage of keeping the money made in the valley IN the valley and referenced a study from years ago that addressed this very issue and suggested this as a possible UCP “platform.” Denise suggested considering what one of us would do to integrate ourselves into the Lions Club or the Grange or the Fair Association and think “from the other side” what it would be like for new members joining us. There was discussion of the advantages of keeping local money local and re-circulating and Liz recommend “The Small-Mart Revolution” as a good book to read in that regard.

Eagle Creek Orchard Project. The orchard has lost approximately 90% of their crop to a killing frost and Liz has offered them her help with online fundraising (through Indiegogo.com) of $30,000 to help save the orchard through upgraded frost protection equipment to weather similar future events. Since this service is something she offers both personally and through UCP, she asked if we would like to receive credit for what she is doing there and there was unanimous agreement to that proposal. Liz invited anyone interested to “Like” the project on Facebook and, for more information on crowd funding, join her online networking/fundraising workgroup, again on Facebook.

Services Offered by UCP. Liz handed out an outline of UCP and its services which had been distributed at the Chamber’s community organization gathering several weeks ago. There was a question about using the term “umbrella” organization and Bill Schuhle suggested substituting “partner.” Ruai pointed out that technically we can only partner with other 501(c)(3)-qualified organizations. The way to legitimately support a project (under IRS rules), is to make it our own and if the project is a project of an individual, that individual needs to become a member of UCP. Liz and Ruai will work on getting clarity on this whole issue and bring that information back to the group.

Project Proposal Form. Liz offered the group a draft of a form to be used for gathering information from folks seeking project support from UCP and asked for input on the form. Steve suggested including something like “Project Champion” as an item to be filled in. Bill Schuhle said that he had filled out the form for the water project he was bringing to the meeting and agreed to send an electronic copy to all concerned so they could take a look at it.

Spartan Run Update. Larry Miller described the concept for those unfamiliar (an extreme obstacle course race). The purpose of putting on such a race in Pine Valley would be to bring people and income to the community. After talking with community members, he suggested the possibility of doing a relay race that involved a Spartan race segment and a horse race segment. If someone came in and put a race on, much of the income would probably leave the community. A locally-produced biathlon, as Larry suggested some time ago, would not have this issue.

Rodale Regeneration Project Update. Celinda spoke of the need for community interdependence, moving beyond differences and polarization. She read portions of a synopsis of the Rodale regeneration materials that she had put together, a major feature of this approach to community “development” being the discovery of, expansion of, and reliance on local resources and skills as opposed to the more common importation of external resources at far greater expense and with a concomitant reduction in a sense of self-reliance and community. The material available on this approach is extensive, but as a starting point, Bill Schuhle will send to the UCP mail list a copy of the full synopsis from which Celinda read. Liz asked whether Celinda saw the Rodale approach as something to be presented to the community or solely to be used as information for UCP’s internal discussion and way-finding. Celinda said she wished to start within UCP with the possibility of expansion to the larger community. It was agreed that, for the time being, the materials would be used to inform our internal discussions. Ruai offered that the upcoming Ford Family Leadership Development training being offered this fall in Halfway would dove-tail very nicely with the approach described in the Rodale materials. Denise commented positively on the information and concurred with the “begin internal, expand into external projects” approach to applying it.

Halfway Emergency Water System Proposal. On behalf of local resident Mike Beidler, who was unavailable to present due to pressing health issues, Bill Schuhle presented Mike’s intensely-researched water system proposal. Bill read Mike’s one-page description of the problem and potential solution. In a nutshell, there are several scenarios which could, possibly in the near future, result in our country’s electrical grid being put out of commission for an extended period of time. Since the City of Halfway’s water supply system is dependent on electrical pumps, if and when the diesel backup generators were to run out of fuel, the City would be without water. Mike is proposing the acquisition and storage of a complete gravity-fed system that, in such a situation, could be quickly installed to bring water to the City system from the Leep Spring up the west wall where the City originally got its water prior to switching to well water. Estimated cost is $25,000 and Mike is requesting of UCP funding for a grant writer to seek grant funding sufficient to implement such a backup plan. Teresa Brown, who is a Halfway City Council member, indicated there were issues with several governmental agencies regarding the implementation of such a plan. Liz indicated that UCP would work with the City in whatever capacity the City thought would be useful. Bill emphasized the “catastrophic” nature of the circumstances under which such a plan would be implemented and the zero likelihood that the DEQ or EPA would be around to give anyone a hard time about a survival plan. He indicated that Mayor Sheila Farwell saw no problem with a group of private citizens making such preparations on their own totally apart from the City. Denise mentioned the possibility of including mini-hydro power generation in the system and suggested any grant writer might want to look into those possibilities as well. Liz suggested the formation of an ad hoc committee to work with the City on this whole idea, saying the project needs a champion and people with time to work on it. She indicated a willingness to support such a project should Mike find interested people to help and a possible source of grant funding for which we could fund a grant writer.

Friends of Feline Ferals Proposal. Lisa Ochoa, owner-operator of Paloma’s Place animal sanctuary in Pine Valley (a 501c3 corporation), described the organization’s Friends of Feline Ferals (FoFF) project aimed at humanely reducing the homeless feral cat population in town and in the valley through the trap-neuter-return method which has been proven to be more effective and cost-effective than simple euthanasia. This technique, combined with care-givers who “adopt” a colony of ferals and make sure they have food and water, drastically reduces the spread of feline disease among the feral population as well as area pets. FoFF is looking for volunteers and for assistance with funding a grant writer to obtain grant funding for acquiring sufficient traps to do the trapping that needs to be done to address the problem. Liz offered help with social media fund raising and our likely support for a grant writer if an appropriate grant can be found. Inga Thompson indicated that Best Friends of Baker is closing down and has donated $95,000 to New Hope for Eastern Oregon. She suggested contacting them for possible funds. Liz offered assistance with social media fund raising and adding a FoFF project page to the UCP web site to indicate our partnership with FoFF. Denise indicated that farmers tend to have traps and they might be willing to lend them for the project. Bill Shields said some homeowners might be happy to pay for a trap in exchange for having their feral cat problem cleaned up. Steve offered that traps could possibly be built economically by interested locals.

Bylaws Discussion. This discussion, which was the final item on the agenda, was forgone due to time getting short and some folks having to leave. The meeting was adjourned at 3:40pm.

Our next regular meeting will be June 3, 2013, and will be held at the Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall at 1:30pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Schuhle, Secretary/Treasurer

Meeting Agenda for May 6th, 2013

1:30-3:30pm
Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall Annex

1. Treasurer’s Report – Bill Schuhle, 5 minutes
2. Bandstand update – Bill Shields, 5 minutes
3. New members progress – Liz, 5 minutes
4. Eagle Creek Orchard project – Liz, 5 minutes
5. Project Proposal Form – Liz, 5 minutes
6. Spartan Run update – Larry Miller, 5 minutes
7. Rodale Regeneration presentation – Celinda Miller & Bill Schuhle, 10 minutes
8. Halfway Emergency Water System proposal – Bill Schuhle, 10 minutes
9. Friends of Feline Ferals proposal – Lisa Ochoa & Kathy Knight, 10 minutes
10. Bylaws Review – All, 30 minutes
11. Open Discussion

All are welcome!

Minutes – April 15, 2013

Pine Valley Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 1:40-3:30pm

Present: Liz McLellan, Larry & Celinda Miller, Steve White, Bill Schuhle, Bill Shields, Mark Christianson, Ruai Gregory

This was a special mid-month meeting called to address the Cornucopia Arts Council’s request for $2,000 in funding for their planned fall music festival. Also on the agenda were meeting “norms” and discussion of UCP’s mission and strategies per our founding documents.

  1. Meeting Norms. Mark Christianson, who had been tasked with drawing up some norms for conduct of our meetings, distributed copies of his typed list for discussion. Clarification of the “Listen respectfully” item included subcategories of “No side conversations”, “Wait until speaker is finished to ask points of clarification”, and “Use respectful language”. In collaboration with Mark and Steve, Bill will create a poster-size list of the agreed-upon norms to be posted at each meeting.
  2. Mail List Issue. Liz stated very strongly that she would like to see our group email dissemination of information and discussion happen through Google Groups so as to simplify the mechanics of discourse as well as maintain a coherent record of that discourse for future reference. This was acceptable to all with the exception of Celinda who will meet with Liz individually to iron out any issues and come to a solution that Celinda can be comfortable with.
  3. Cornucopia Arts Council Request for Funding. Mark re-read for the group’s benefit the overview from CAC’s written proposal/request. He strongly suggested that we honor the efforts being made by CAC to meet our request for a written proposal and respond to their request in the context of the recent granting precedents extant at the time CAC approached us and to take up consideration of other ways of handling such requests subsequent to making this particular decision. Bill Shields commented on the long history of CAC in the valley and its bringing of many musical and artistic events to the community, normally on a donation basis, and felt that they deserve our support in this new endeavor. Bill Schuhle indicated that, even though musical events are enjoyed by a good number of folks in the valley, we have already put approximately 25% of our available funds toward musical projects and that maybe it was time to shift our focus to supporting projects – such as an emergency gravity-fed drinking water system and less expensive, more environmentally friendly sewer treatment options – that would benefit an even larger portion of our community and materially address issues related to its sustainability and survivability. Celinda expressed that she would like to see us move away from a granting model and back to what, as best she could determine from a reading of the founding documents, was an assistive role rather than a granting role. She supported Bill Schuhle’s contention that community sustainability is an important issue to be addressed. Steve spoke of the potentially huge long-term benefits to the community of both the MainStreet Stage and the annual CAC Music Festival. He felt that support of these was money well spent and that denial of this particular CAC request would be “hurtful”. He offered his support of “sustainability”related projects, but pointed out that we’ve not yet seen any concrete proposals for such. He also felt that use of the term “sustainability” on our part would be a huge turn-off to the large conservative portion of the valley community and Liz confirmed this, suggesting that we get on with building a good track record of things done as a way to re-establish UCP’s credibility as an organization. Steve emphasized the need to get the word our about our support for grant writing efforts. Larry brought up the issue of responsibility for grant monies received and indicated that if recipients are not willing to pay the money back at some point, he would vote “no”.  Liz voiced strong concern for use of terms like “welfare” and “responsibility” in relation to the Arts Council which has done so much for the community. Bill Shields summarized our current position very succinctly and urged our support of the CAC request. After some further summarizing discussion, a vote was taken and unanimous approval was given for a $2,000 grant to the Cornucopia Arts Council in support of their first annual fall music festival. This with a proviso that they kindly remember UCP in the future as a conduit for giving back to the community. Bill Shields will put all of this in writing.
  4. Discussion of Vision and Strategy Statements as presented in original UCP founding documents. Bill Shields indicated that the vision statement, including the “premier rural living experience” wording, was primarily written as a PR piece to appease the County. He suggested that the paragraph beginning with “Our desire…”, with “desire” changed to “vision” would be perfect. There was agreement all around. Regarding strategy and goals, Bill Shields suggested slimming our document wording down to include: 1. Strengthen locally owned businesses; 2. Advocate for a strong traditional and innovative agricultural base; 3. Encourage locally developed, owned, and operated tourist services; 4. Support City of Halfway growth within the 2000 urban growth boundary; 5. Actively network with regional economic development agencies and organizations. It was agreed that we would take Bill’s minimalist ideas and each add to them as we see fit or create our own version to compare with Bill’s and bring to our next meeting for further discussion.
  5. Our next regular meeting will be May 6, 2013, and will be held at the Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall at 1:30pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Schuhle, Secretary/Treasurer

UCP Special Meeting
AGENDA
April 15, 2013
1:30-3:00 p.m.- Presbyterian Church – Annex – Meeting Room

NOTE – this is TAX DAY…so plan ahead.

1. Brief development/discussion of meeting norms going forward.  1o-15 minutes.

2. Maillist Issue – 5 minutes

3. Festival Funding Discussion – 2K to Cornucopia Arts Council. Bring your copy of the budget. 20-minutes

4. Mission and planning. 40 minutes (Ongoing)

See you there folks!

Meeting Agenda: UCP – Monday April 1st, 2013

Insert clever April Fool’s Joke Here.

UCP General Meeting
AGENDA
April 1, 2013
1:30-3:00 p.m.- Presbyterian Church – Annex – Meeting Room

I.  Treasurer’s Report – Bill Schuhle
II. Election of Officers
III. Bandshell – Bill Sheilds
IV.  Eric Kaufman – Music Festival
V.  Other Items

If you have something you would like to add to the agenda – e-mail or call Liz McLellan

Note: Steve White – has offered to be notetaker /owner of the flip stand.

 

Minutes: March 4, 2013

United Community Partners
Meeting of March 4, 2013
Pine Valley Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall, 1:40-3:10pm

Present: Bill Schuhle, Bill Shields, Mark Christianson, Celinda Miller, Denise Christianson, Liz McLellan

In the absence of President/Secretary Ruai Gregory, it was decided that Treasurer Bill Schuhle would conduct the meeting. Liz McLellan provided an agenda via email prior to the meeting and this was followed. Reading/approval of the previous meeting’s minutes was overlooked/omitted at this meeting.

1.    Financial Report. The finance report showed a net increase in the Checking balance of $226.32 and an increase of $32.47 in the Brokerage account since the last reported balance of 12/31/12. To review the Financials please contact Bill Schuhle, UCP Treasurer.

2.    Selection of Officers. Though a quorum of Board Members was present, it was decided that, due to Steve White’s absence (he was out of town), selection of officers would be postponed until next month’s meeting. It was determined that the minutes of our last meeting, which was our official Annual Meeting and included selection of Board Members, need to be kept on file in case at some point the need arose to provide proof to the State of Oregon that we did in fact have our Annual Meeting as required by our Articles of Incorporation.

3.    Bandstand Project Update. Bill Shields indicated that the project is at the point of entering the permitting process with the County. George Guarino’s CAD drawings of the building plans were passed around to much approval. Plans for drawing power (30 amp circuit) from Dale Denson’s Three Color Building were discussed. Denise urged a written agreement with Dale should we end up using power from his building. Power from the Sowers’ “rock bottom” apartment building would be an option of last resort. There was some discussion of whether sound levels from the bandstand could be considered a nuisance by some and therefore a problem. It was pointed out that since the performances will be conducted in compliance with City ordinances, this shouldn’t be an issue and could be considered “part of living in a small town” as are the sounds broadcast from the rodeo grounds, the high school football field, etc

4.    PEEF Grant Request. Bill Schuhle summarized a request from Vicki Johnson on behalf of the Pine Eagle Education Foundation for $700 to purchase sturdy shelving to store donated art supplies at the elementary school to be used in a new art teaching program being instituted in collaboration with the Carnegie Crossroads Art Center in Baker. After considerable discussion, it was decided that, recent disbursements notwithstanding, our purpose as UCP is to help build community capacity through assisting with grant-writing, etc., rather than through outright grants and that we do not wish to encourage the perception that we are a source of the latter. With this in mind, the decision was made to offer PEEF an interest-free loan of $700 to help them through this immediate need and to be re-paid within 60 days when they have obtained funds from other sources. Bill Shields informed us that Jacob’s Dream will soon be acting as an agency for small grants to different community projects as a way of disbursing its profits now that the summer youth job program is no longer and said that this is likely the very kind of request they will be considering.

5.    Rodale Institute Community Regeneration Update. Celinda indicated she had recently received extensive information in the form of PDF files which she and Bill Schuhle will go through and try to distill into a presentation to be made at either our April or May meeting.

6.    Expression of gratitude to Ruai for her five years of service as UCP President. Liz will compose a letter of appreciation and circulate it for the approval of all.

7.    Seed Sharing Station. Liz indicated that the seed sharing station will be once again set up at Jacob’s Dream and asked that we get the word out about its availability.

8.    Miscellaneous. Bill Shields recommended keeping minutes to basically a record of decisions made. He also urged the establishment of a mechanism for making it clear that a decision had been made. There was discussion of possibly holding UCP meetings at City Hall and also getting a City employee to become part of UCP.

9.    Our next meeting will be April 1, 2013, and will be held at the Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall at 1:30pm.
Respectfully submitted,

Bill Schuhle, acting Secretary

callous